Being Elegant in Fortnum and Mason.



We have had an amazing day yesterday on the top floor of Fortnum and Mason, the oldest department store of UK. 
The head quarters is located at 181 Piccadilly, where as it was established in 1707 by William Fortnum and Hugh Mason. It is recognised internationally for its high quality goods as an iconic British symbol(Wikipedia). The main focus of the store is variety of exotics.


Large but amazing indoor changing has been made since year 2004. It look now completely different indoors. Spiral stairs run though the atrium of the store, making customers easily recognise how many floors they have, and the amazing but unique goods on each floors.


Sitting with being suprised, I started looking around. Everything look rally British and traditional: the velvet curtains, the hand made carpet, china tableware arranged in traditional order. The services are extremely experienced and behave just like the way being done traditionally. I have to remind me several times to speak quite, because my loudness definitely will not suit this elegant atmosphere.


Everyone who ordered tea were offered a nice painted china tea pot while people who ordered coffee, like me, were given a silver pot same as the one in the middle. I have to say, with little knowledge about coffee, I found this fresh ground coffee mellow and refreshing.


Talking to friends in a whispering voice, listening to the lecturer giving a speech about the history of Fortnum and Mason, I felt like myself becoming a medieval debutante. Well, yes, which is not real me.



Honestly, this rosy taste dessert was no doubt my favourite. As for the dessert itself, it does not only look delicate outside, but you will definitely find it more surprising inside, with the F&M specific ingredients made cream in. All the food here were made of British national ingredients. Thus if want to try anything purely British, F&M will no doubt become my top line choice.


After the late afternoon tea, we were offered a rough trip around F&M(It had to be rough otherwise you can spend whole night here listening to every details). And the gentle tour leader give us chance to try luxury chocolates on the shelf.




Feeling boundless, the nice trip to Fortnum and Mason had to reach it's end. However, I do need to high light, if you want to try anything traditionally British, come to Fortnum and Mason, the answers are already waiting for you here. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy birthday to me! The Rainforest Cafe, the Shard Bar and My Flat Party

Tips of making friends with people from UK and being native

Such an Honor: Representing My Royal Veterinary College and Introducing London to the Whole World